Lime Pickled Onions
- 2 large Red Onions, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons of Salt
- 6 Limes, Juiced
- 4 tablespoons strong Olive Oil
- 1 large Tomato, chopped
1. Salt the onions and tomato in a container.
2. Add the lime juice and olive oil.
3. Mix thoroughly and refrigerate for 8 hours, mixing now and then.
4. Will last until the end of time and get better every day.
5. They are good on everything.
Rebel Arroz con Pollo
(This makes a LOT)
- 4 cups Basmati Rice
- 1.5 cups strong Chicken Broth
- 8-10 oz Andouille or Chorico sausage, Chopped
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- 1 large Yellow Onion
- 1 Red Pepper, chopped
- 1 Green Pepper, chopped
- 1 Jalapeno, chopped (and seeded if you don’t want it too spicy)
- 1 cup chopped Fresh parsley
- 8 cloves Garlic (minced fine)
- 2 large Bay Leaves
- 1 8oz can chopped Tomato
- ½ cup Achiote Oil (or 4 tablespoons Annatto Powder + ½ cup strong Olive Oil)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 4 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup Green onions chopped
- 3lbs Boneless Chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
1. Salt and pepper the chicken thighs and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Allow to cool.
2. Put the achiote oil in a LARGE skillet (or sauce pan) and get it hot. Drop in the Chorico sausage and cook for 3 minutes on medium.
3. Add into the skillet the onion, red pepper, green pepper, jalapeno (seeded or not). Cook until onion is tender.
4. Add in the garlic, turn heat to low. Cook for 2 minutes and drop in the tomatoes.
5. Simmer for 10 minutes on low, stirring.
6. Add the Chicken stock, turn up heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Wash the rice 3 times (ALWAYS WASH IT 3 TIMES!!!)
8. Mix the uncooked rice, the sauce, liquid smoke, cumin, 2 bay leaves and vinegar THEN either cook on the stove in a pot (EXPERT LEVEL) or in a rice cooker (Rice cookers rock).
9. Chop the chicken into 1 inch pieces.
10. Fluff rice when done and put into a large mixing bowl. Add the parsley and green onion while still hot. Remove the bay leaves.
11. Serve with Lime Pickled Onions and Avocado!