- 2lbs Cheap beef roast like Eye of Round or something. The more gristly it is, the better it will taste when done.
- 2 Large onions, sliced.
- 2 large peppers (Green,Red) Sliced. (Optional)
- 4 cloves garlic, mashed with salt
- 3 tablespoons Annato Seed, crushed (You can get the powder here)
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
1. Cut the roast into thick slices. About 1/2-3/4 inch thick.
2. In a large bowl whisk together Annato powder, garlic, oil, vinegar, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, pepper and salt. This is the marinade.
3. Put the beef into the marinade and coat it well, push it down so it is mostly covered by marinade. Allow to marinade for at LEAST 2 hours but not longer than 12.
4. In a covered roasting dish, lay the sliced onions then the sliced peppers in the bottom. Place the marinated beef on top. Pour marinade over this. Cover and bake for 1.5-2 hours at 375 until meat pulls apart very easily.
5. Use 2 forks to shred the meat easily. Stir it around so onions and peppers are distributed throughout. Serve cauliflower rice or puree. Leftovers taste better the next day as the flavors mingle.