Red cabbage is a veggie that will fill you up, clean you out, and deliver to your cells a lot of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and more! Red Pepper has a huge amount of Vitamin C! The problem is it can also lose some of those nutrients by cooking. Plus, I am not a fan of cooked cabbage. Neither the smell nor the texture turn me on much.
It is SLAW that makes me happy! But of course, the sugar in slaw is usually a deal breaker if you are thinking of weight loss and healthy food. So, in my recipe, the sugar is replaced by Red Pepper and the mayo is replaced with lower calorie, but high fat yogurt.
- 1 medium head of Red Cabbage, shredded
- 1 large Red Pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ground Black Pepper
- OPTIONAL: 1/2 cup chopped Green Onions
- OPTIONAL: 1/2 cup shredded Daikon or standard Radish
1. Mix together the vinegar and salt and pepper. Microwave for 30 seconds and whisk together. Add the mayo and whisk again.
2. Add the cabbage and red pepper slices. (and Green Onion if you choose it). Mix with a spoon to fully coat.
3. Store, covered, in the fridge, for about 4 hours to allow the flavors to mix. Mix once a day to keep it developing!