I have been thinking and thinking lately, about the types of food we eat and what they do to our bodies. I read and re-read several books on the subject including Good Calories, Bad Calories and Why We Get Fat, both by Gary Taubes. I also read In Defense of Food. After that, I started on a Paleo-style diet. I do steer away from certain foods that are considered Paleo, like sweet potatoes and other root veggies.
One of things I missed (they are few) was tacos. Here’s what I made to take their place!
- 1 Pound of the fattiest ground beef you can find (80/20 was the best I could do)
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 4 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 Tsp Salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 Onion, chopped fine
- 2 Jalapenos, seeded and chopped fine
- 7 shakes Hot sauce
- 7 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Cream
- 6 oz Colby Cheese, sliced or shredded
- Chopped lettuce (mixed greens are good too)
1. Put the ground beef in a sauce pan, add the cumin, chili powder, hot sauce, onion, and jalapeno. Cook on medium high until browned well. Do NOT drain it. This is Low Carb…. we likes the fat!
2. Whip together the eggs and cream until smooth and slightly foamy. Pour over the meat, with heat on medium high, and lay the cheese evenly on top of it all. Cover. Leave heat on for 2 minute then turn it off. Walk away for 10 minutes.
3. When the cover is removed you will have a solid Mexican Pie! Cut into pie slices and serve with topped with Guacamole, Slaw, chopped tomatoes or just a little hot sauce!
The one I picture on this post actually has a cup of broccoli in it too.